Advanced Interactive Design | Task 1

Melvin Yung Khun Yew | 0357241 | Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
DST 60804 | Advanced Interactive Design
Week 1 — Week 4


Thematic Interactive Website Proposal

Starting off the first assignment, I'm greeted with a proposal for a website design with interactive elements. Upon reviewing and observing my senior's work and other designers' websites, I was taken aback by the sheer amount of interactivity in their websites. As each element can be interacted with by the users, I am much more inclined to browse through the page, some even let myself immersed into the virtual world in those fabulous works of art. Thus, I'm motivated to self-improve and make this assignment my opportunity to grasp what's happening behind those amazing designs.






These are the jump links to each part of this portfolio



Instructions

Mr Shamsul Hamimi, my module coordinator and lecturer for this semester, provided us with the necessary files including the module information, and reading elements to give us a headstart on this module.


MIB - Module Information Booklet



Task 1 - Thematic Interactive Website Proposal

"Thematic Interactive Website Proposal for Brand Engagement. A thematic interactive website is a website that focuses on a specific theme or concept to incorporate interactive elements to interact with users. Most websites utilize multimedia such as videos, animations, interactive graphics displayed on the page, or other clickable elements with interactive components that provoke the user. This dynamic experience is meant to keep the user interested in addition to the thematic concept. Themes in such websites vary from educational, cultural, and promotional campaigns to product launches. For example, a thematic interactive site could be a museum. Users can go through a virtual exhibition space through interactive tours, game simulations, or questionnaires. If it is a movie, the site can simulate movie universes offering virtual tours through time and space, or any other subject previously created in the movie. The aim of any such site is to keep the user engaged in the medium through interactive exploration." — Shamsul Hamimi, 2024

Deadline: Week 04

I'm required to create a thematic interactive website proposal with whatever topic of my choice. 

Learning goals:

  • Strategic Communication Competencies – Conduct oral and verbal presentations to persuade and illustrate ideas and concepts in a multidisciplinary setting as a team or an individual.


Work Process

Project Concept Overview

After certain careful considerations in deciding my topic of interest to develop a thematic interactive website for, I decided to go with a more expressive and creative topic, which is to create an interactive website with hand-drawn graphics for an American artist JVKE due to his exceptional song production that I found myself into.

Following the ideation progress, I've made some adjustments to my ideation to specifically focus on expressing one of the popular songs, "Golden Hour" by him for a distinctive experience to the visitors instead of generally introducing the artist.


JVKE- Jacob Dodge Lawson

Wireframes

Actually, before I made the wireframes for my interactive websites, I found that creating the flow chart first was important to allow me to foresee the features and function of the website page. It also enables me to understand clearly what needs to be on my website. After visualizing my user flow chart, I began to design my website wireframe.

Landing Page

Landing Page with Hamburg Menu

Illustrated Story Page

Artist "JVKE"'s biography

Music Collection Exploration Page

Moodboard

When I was conducting my visual research on what art style to incorporate better and introduce JVKE as an uprising artist, I found that the art style in all of his music album covers is contemporary surrealist. This led me to determine what my website's theme would be (though not 100% similar).

Theme: Contemporary Surrealism, Hand-drawn, Golden Hour Warmth Illustration
Keywords: Artistic, Music and Waves, Nature and Blossoms, Paintbrush(hand-made) textures

Golden Hour theme, inside my Canva PPT 

I also selected a golden hour color palette that combines yellow, orange, blue, and dark blue.

Sunset color palette


I chose Rock Salt Font, which I found on the Google Font website, as it fits and complements my website theme, as the hand-written type matches the "human" emotion vibes I want to present.

Rock Salt Font on Google Font


User Flow Chart

I have moments of pondering and ideating what I'm gonna make in the website, thus allowing me to decide the flow of the website, where I can observe the action options laid before my audience when visiting my websites. The user can either go straight into the website to experience the interactive storytelling pages or have the option to quickly get information on the artist and other music collections where they can be redirected to the music platforms (YouTube Music, Spotify) to hear them out.

Website flow chart



Access my Canva PPT here


My reflections

Referring back to the second week when Mr Shamsul discussed this design proposal, I enjoyed my time pondering the topic that I'm interested in and the ways I'm going to bring the design to life. Looking at the style of one of my favourite artists JVKE which I listened to during the COVID-19 pandemic, I'm glad I have the opportunity to develop an interactive website to honour his talent and efforts in the music industry.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Illustration and Visual Narrative | Task 1

Illustration and Visual Narrative | Task 2

Digital Photography and Imaging | Final Project