Video and Sound Production | Project 2

Melvin Yung Khun Yew | 0357241 | Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
VSP 60104 Video and Sound Production
Week 3 to Week 7

Hola! Video and Sound Production.

This module introduced me to the knowledge and skills required to digitize sound and video elements for multimedia design projects, using the appropriate multimedia platforms.


Image credit: DC Studio on Freepik


These are the jump links to each part of this portfolio



Instructions

Mr Martin Chong, my module coordinator and lecturer for this semester, provided us with the necessary files including the module information, and reading elements to give us a headstart on this module.


Fig 2.1  MIB - Module Information Booklet


Project 2 | Task 1 Production Shoot
In the second task starting this video & sound production class, we have several exercises to warm up and aid in gaining theoretical and practical knowledge for the production crew simulation.

Time length: Week 6 — Week 10

Learning goals:
  • To acquire technical and digital media competencies by demonstrating the creative use of software, and effective use of digital media skills to promote or communicate design concepts or solutions.

The exercises include:
  1. Production Shoot (10%)
  2. TikTok/Insta video (20%)
Submission requirements:
  1. Progress documentation in E-portfolio
  2. The link to the videos


Work Process

Project 2A: Production video exercise
To let us have an idea of the roles of the movie production team, the class divided into groups to shoot the sample clips from the Movie "Everything Everywhere, All At Once" 

The production has been further expanded into 4 scenes, I call them:
  1. The fighting scene
  2. Face-to-face scene
  3. The nod of approval scene
  4. Final act scene


During the practical session, Mr Martin let us have a production shoot at the E1.01 Photo Studio for the proper camera and lighting equipment. With that equipment, our team can achieve the cinematic style for the video, just like in the sample clips.

As a DOP (director of photography), my job is to ensure a proper composition, movement, colour and lighting in the video. I also cooperated with the director to ensure the video shooting sessions went well by coordinating with the actors and the lighting crews to make the best outcome possible.

Post-production

In the post-production stage, Mr Martin required us to make different colour corrections and grading to give different vibes to each different clip.

Here are the examples of colour grades:
  • Teal & Orange
  • Bluish (Cold)
  • Greenish (Cold)
  • Brownish (Warm)
  • Desaturated (50%-70%)
  • B&W, High Contrast

Instead of just making basic colour corrections and grading to the video, Mr Martin further required us to make a creative cut on the clips so that the overall clips together could form a complete movie trailer with storylines. I went to a greater length than just editing the clips and adding complementary sound effects and music to make the clips more compelling to the viewers.

After going through the clips again, I found that the vibes it gives off from those clips are towards a more adventurous and action approach. To make them into a complete storyline, I had expanded possible cuts and edits to the video in my mind before confirming a relationship-like adventure theme packed with actions and how they come together to comprehend each other. 

Movie theme: Adventure
Audio: Cinematic suspense/action/adventure BGM
Name: All That Matters
Year: 2024







Project 2B: TikTok/ Instagram Video

This is the Instagram video proposal in a Google slide presentation.

Making storyboard
When making the storyboard, I'm intrigued by the aesthetic looks of the vlog video that the YouTubers achieve with cinematic colour grading, especially since I can still achieve the cinematic feel even in vertical shoot mode with their works as an example.

However, I want to add my touch to the theme, adding the POV shots into my video to better incorporate how others experience my daily campus life in first-person view.

Focusing on myself, the storyline goes from waking up to the alarm, making preparations, meeting friends on campus, eating, studying, suffering with my fellow classmates, departing our own ways, going home and resting. I plan to make the video go into a loop, symbolizing how my life started over and over again during my uni life.


Video shooting
Upon confirming the storyboards and the camera shots, I'm going to shoot a short 1-minute video for TikTok or Instagram which follows the current Internet trends.

My theme for the short video: Daily Vlog with a bit of cinematic elements.

Combining the POV camera shot and accounting for the various shot sizes in the video lets the viewers experience my everyday life cycle on campus, waking up, meeting friends, going to lecturers, saying farewell to my friends, going home alone doing assignments, sleeping, and starting over again.

Post-editing
  1. Audio selection
    To fit the uplifting theme of my video, I look for a soft and calming approach to the background music for the video. 

    Fitting the rhythm of the music to the video clips, I occasionally add transitions according to the music beat.

  2. Colour correction
    Due to the different shooting conditions (weather factors), the videos have different exposures and colours to them, that's where the colour corrections and grading come in.

    To ensure consistency among the video clips, I have made some adjustments to the exposure, brightness, highlights and shadows in the videos. 
Final product



Lecturer's Feedback

TikTok/Instagram video:
The video looks fine, just make sure to do the proper colour correction in the videos.

My reflections

My learnings:
In this project, I'm able to learn the introduction to filmmaking, with the principles of cinematography, storyboards and more. With many opportunities provided to put the lessons to use, I'm glad that I'm able to learn knowledge that I've only touched the surface before in more detail.

My weaknesses or obstacles 
For the second task, despite I want to achieve the cinematic look in the video, I still believe that I haven't done a great job at making those feel with the shooting sizes and colours.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercise

Illustration and Visual Narrative | Task 1

Digital Photography and Imaging | Task 1