Digital Photography and Imaging | Task 2

Digital Photography and Imaging September 2023 

03.11.2023 — 01.12.2023 (Week 6 — Week 10)
Melvin Yung Khun Yew | 0357241 | Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
GCD 62104    Digital Photography and Imaging



This portfolio consists of:

Click on the link to jump to that part of the portfolio


↑↑↑ Back to top ↑↑↑

Lecture

Week 5
Ctrl + Alt + G = Create clipping mask

Week 6
Theme — Texture Displacement



Adobe Photoshop > Filter > Distort > Displace (only works with PSD files and black and white)
Smart filter (Convert to smart filter) allows to edit the filter applied to a smart object


Tutorial Exercise
In the week 6 lecture class, Mr Martin taught us how to displace an image onto another texture of a picture to merge them together naturally. 

Displacing the Malaysia Flag on a wrinkled fabric

To start off, I selected the fabric image in JPG format as the main subject for displacing the flag.
Setting fabric as the main subject and the flag as the displacing object

To prepare the main subject for the displacement effect, I turned the yellowish fabric into black and white colour using the filter adjustment layer. At the same time, I also applied some smooth effects on the fabric layer to unsharpen the pixels of the jpg.

Black and white adjustment layer on the fabric layer.

Later, I saved the black and white file separately to act as a reference PSD file for displacement use.
Saving B & W file for reference

Moving on to the main part of this exercise, I imported the photo of the Malaysia flag into the same PSD project file and converted it to a smart object by right-clicking on the layer and selecting the option.

Convert to smart object for easier editing on any changes (filters, effects)applied to the layer.

Under the Filter panel, I selected the displace filter effect inside the distort option.


I chose the black and white reference image of the fabric I made before as a displacement map for the flag.


Voila! ☻


I also continue practising on the other samples and materials provided by Mr Martin to further hone my skills with...


A giraffe skin texture on a sphynx cat...


and a Liverpool football club logo on a woman's portrait photo.

Week 7
Theme — Cyborg Girl

Tutorial Exercise


Mr Martin instructed the class how to create a cyborg-like effect on a person using the Bevel and Emboss effect and adding robot parts to the leg.

Firstly, I selected Bora the girl as the main subject for the cyborg transformation.

Later, I cut out a portion of the girl's leg with a lasso tool and the layer-by-cut option. I also used solid fill on the bottom of the leg to make the feet look more dimensioned. I divided out the metal leg structure of a robot from another picture to add to Bora's leg.
The metal structure of a robot


The finished product of a metal skeleton on the leg


Moving on, I began to construct the lines on Bora's thigh to simulate a cyborg modification. Using a brush tool to draw line patterns on the thigh and add them to a layer mask onto Bora, I went to the blending options panel in the popped-out-layer style window by double-clicking on the layer with Bora.

I adjusted the settings of the bevel & emboss structure including the style, depth, size and the shading of the effect.


Finished!


Week 8
Independent Learning Week

There is no lecture class on week 8, but I continue progressing on the second assignment tasked by Mr Martin for this module.

Week 9
Portrait Mask with Ivy Bush



Things learned:

  • Blending Options > Bezel & Embross
  • Bezel & Embross > Create Layers (Separated parts of bezel highlights and shadows)
  • Select > Load Selection


Mr Martin gave the class a quick briefing on this whole module and the module learning outcomes during the class on Friday afternoon.

Task 2 (40%) - Individual: 
In this second task, I was tasked to make a double-exposure photo using a portrait photo of myself and layers of background images to create a compound image. 

The next task given to me is to create a digital imaging photo-realistic picture by combining two different objects/subjects together to a final image.

Submission
Digital Photo Manipulation and Double Exposure

Learning goals
  • Generate and communicate design concepts and solutions through manual and digital skills effectively and skillfully.
  • Use creative thinking skills and methodologies to explore, generate and test a wide range of conceptual ideas.
  • Use information and communication technology to source navigate, select, retrieve and manage information.


↑↑↑ Back to top ↑↑↑

Work Process

Double Exposure Photo
I started the photo editing process by first taking some portrait photos of myself with the helping hands of my wonderful classmates.

Different shooting views of portrait photo

Upon making a final choice of which portrait photo to use, I began to search Google looking for materials and assets for the double exposure task. Then I came across these spectacular photographs of nature.


   
"Nature at its best, innit?"

I started by importing all the assets into Adobe Photoshop and creating a layer mask for the subject. I also cleaned up the layer mask and erased some parts to fit the subject better in the photo for the double exposure editing later.


Afterwards, my next step was to create layer masks on the nature assets for a double exposure effect with brush tool adjustments following the arrangement of my portrait photo.


I began adjusting the overall visuals to make them more appealing, such as the exposure curve, black and white filter, and gradient map on the subject.

Exposure curve adjustment

B & W filter and gradient map adjustment

Ultimately, I added the background gradient colour to finish up the double-exposure photo.


Initially, I planned to include some mathematical equation patterns in the background to clarify the characteristics.


However, after a nice feedback session with my lecturer, I soon began to realise that this pattern addition could mess up my photo theme, as the theme of the subject already leaned more towards nature, and that this patterned background could break the harmony of the whole image.


"Man In Suit" — 10/11/2023


Photo Manipulation

In the second part of this assessment, I was tasked with the manipulation of real-world objects together to form a single compound photo. After going through the examples provided by Mr Martin on what to expect in this second part of the task, I began to ideate and illustrate out some concepts without hesitations.

Photo Manipulation Concepts — 2/11/2023

After consulting with my lecturer on the potential ideas that would work, I selected the ideas that I wanted to try out, which came down to two concepts: tennis ball & orange and ladybug with strawberry.

Tennis ball and orange

I found some high-definition of tennis ball images on the Adobe Stock website to be used as the main subject of photo manipulation.



Subsequently, I selected the tennis balls and removed the background after importing them into Photoshop. Later after a thoughtful session, I decided to change the original idea of using orange to using the mandarine fruit as the target for photo manipulation.



Selecting out the part I would use for the mandarine, I slapped the photo onto the tennis ball with the addition of background colour and reflections.

However, I also made another concept out which apparently Mr Martin is more preferred because of the awkward mismatch of the half-cut tennis ball and the mandarine fruit.

Ladybug with strawberry texture shell

Same actions as the last concept, I searched for a suitable ladybug image and a strawberry photo for the task. 

Ladybug and strawberry

Importing them into Adobe Photoshop, I select the strawberry and cut out the remains for distortion on the ladybug's elytron. I also applied overlay blending mode on the distorted strawberry to make it look natural. 


My final step is to add the finishing adjustment layer on the photo including exposure curve adjustment and colour grading for the colour of the strawberry to fit better with the surrounding light direction shone on the elytron.

Adjustment layers in action to make the photo more vibrant and colour-accurate

And it's done!

"Strawberribug" — 15/11/2023



↑↑↑ Back to top ↑↑↑

Feedback

Week 6: 
Specific feedback
Double exposure: for the man in a suit, the background can be quite confusing as it has a different theme than the double exposure, try switching it to a background that matches the theme of the picture. For example: on a mountain gazing at the vast universe and spaces, endless horizon of forest or ocean.

The second image, it's more digital imaging than a double-exposure photo. But keep it for future use too.

Week 7:
Specific feedback
For the combination of a tennis ball and mandarine, it feels weird to have a whole mandarine fruit meat to expose outside, rather I believe it is more suitable to use a cut-flat orange to fill the inner part of the tennis ball up. 

For the combination of the ladybug and the strawberry, I believe it is much more natural to just blend in the texture of the strawberry on the body of the ladybug, so it's better to use multiply blend mode. But in the end, it's up to you to decide.



↑↑↑ Back to top ↑↑↑

Reflections

  • Experience
    Talking about the fascinating journey I experienced in the second assessment of this module, I got to see the different photography techniques and how to achieve them using Adobe Photoshop. From the double exposure and photo manipulation task, I realized that I can bring photography to the next level not only by the real-life photoshoot using the camera but also by including a creative mindset into the photo that we can't hope to achieve in normal circumstances.
  • Observations
    As instructed and requested by my lecturer to have a look at the examples on the Internet, I'm able to appreciate the enthralling work of art by the professionals, they make me wonder how capable our human mind is.
  • Findings
    Not only the information from the module can help me achieve a greater height in my creative design voyage, but the experiences and samples portrayed by others make me realize that there is always someone more capable and stronger than us, all we can do is not hoping for the best, but wishes for improvement as times goes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography | Task 1: Exercise

Illustration and Visual Narrative | Task 1

Digital Photography and Imaging | Task 1